We had seen many bookish bucket lists, but they only dealt with the concept of what books you want to read before you die, not what book-related tasks you wanted to accomplish.
Allison and I worked very hard on this concept and list. Seriously, it tooks us weeks to think of our ideas! Before creating it, we searched high and low for a similar list and found absolutely nothing. Within weeks of posting our lists, we began to see lists with the same title pop up on various blogs and social networking sites.
Please help us keep the integrity of the book blogging community by crediting our blogs and/or using our logos to help spread the fun in an honest way.
We encourage all book fans to create their own lists, but request, once again, that you link us up. Like I said, we worked very hard on this concept.
Anyway, in March, Allison and I came up with the idea for a bookish bucket list, which we titled 50 Bookish Things You Must Do Before You Die. What’s different about our list is that it has nothing to do with reading any particular books, but rather taking bookish actions.
We had 35 goals in common and 15 individual goals. Together, we have helped each other work our ways through some of the items on our lists, so below is an update.
The ones that I have started or completed are bolded and explained.
- 20 DIY bookish (& sophisticated) crafts – created a Kindle cover (tutorial will come to my blog eventually!)
- Participate in creating or create my own Little Free Library
- Read 50+ classics – Not there yet, but here’s my Classics Club info!
- Visit author/book locations (homes, parks, etc.) – Stanley Hotel which inspired The Shining by Stephen King, the House of the Seven Gables which is Nathaniel Hawthorne’s inspiration
- Do 10 new activities inspired by books
- Go to a book blogging conference – Not yet, but I am going to a general blogging conference in September
- Have cards in 10+ countries – working on it! Have a card going to Spain pretty soon!
- Stamp 100+ books – I haven’t been keeping track, but I guarantee I am over the 100 mark, having stamped a ton of books that were donated by my aunt
- Send/Receive 100+ PostCrossing cards – I’ve sent a few, but I might actually change this one. . . I’m not enjoying this goal as much as I thought I would be.
- Do 10+ video blog posts – One down: Frankenstein
- Plan a few book-themed dates
- Have a book-themed party
- Host an in-person book club
- Meet 20 authors – Met Stephen King in college, Jodi Picoult, Ayana Mathis, Debbie Berkelhammer, Junot Diaz
- Make blog bookmarks – not yet, but it’s coming!
- Consistently volunteer or work at a bookstore or library
- Work a Friends of the Library sale
- Guest post for a big deal book website or magazine
- Host a blogging event – see the Weekday Read-a-thon and Book Club
- Write thank you notes to authors whose books make a difference
- Make postcards for the blog for PostCrossing
- Get 1,000 Likes on Facebook – 387 so far. . . I’d love if you helped me get closer to my goal with a like!
- Get 1,000 followers on the blog
- Have a review posted/published by a national publication/website
- Be asked by Amazon to be a Vine member
- Be invited as a guest speaker for a blog/book-related conference
- Make enough money from blog to break even with blog costs
- Get 1,000 books donated to a cause
- Participate in online author discussions – Participated in SheReads discussions and have hosted my own author discussion with Danna Pycher!
- Plan a trip to meet other book bloggers
- Read the top most banned books
- Participate often in BookCrossing
- Have a stamped book/leave a card in every state – So far, I have 17 states down!
- Have a stamped book in 10+ countries – Whenever Allison sends out the book to Spain, I’ll have one!
- Participate in as many blogging events (Bloggiesta, read-a-thons, YoRWtFIW, etc) as I can – Bloggiesta, book club, read-a-thons, YoRWtFIW
Then, there were some that we decided on independently. Here are my 15 individual goals:
- Make a deeper, personal connection with an author – Danna Pycher!!!! Yay!!!!
- Read 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die – working on it. . .
- Visit as many libraries as I can in as many cities as I can – Denver Public Library, Boulder Public Library, Chelmsford Public Library, Boston Public Library, and later this month I’ll go to the Library of Congress! Plus, I’ve been to a bunch more that I haven’t blogged about in Virginia and the DC area recently.
- Read a book in another language (besides English)
- Read 10 books of poetry
- Read 20 books of short stories – I haven’t been keeping track like I should, but I have made it a huge point to do more of this, like with What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank, Moral Disorder, Appearances, The Rag, and The Tent. Actually, I guess I have been keeping track!
- Write a children’s book
- Fill my wall of bookshelves with books
- Keep my Goodreads To Read list up to date and accurate
- Record videos of childrens books being read aloud for the internet
- Give out ALL business cards
- Volunteer more than once for Librivox
- Create my own blogging event (like Bloggiesta, read-a-thon, YoRWtFIW) – Weekday Read-a-thon with The Book Wheel, Book Club with The Book Wheel
- Read 10+ graphic novels (aka comic books, husband’s choice)
- Host a book swap party
Allison and I are challenging YOU! Create your own bookish bucket list!
Can’t think of 50? Think of however many you can!
Then share it with us!!!!! And check out Allison’s List of 50 Bookish Things You Must Do Before You Die and Allison’s update!